Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter and the Wyld Stallyns

Or something like that. Surprise ending: Harry and Ron form the greatest rock band ever and bring peace to the wizarding world after a climactic duel against Voldemort a la "Six String Samurai." Lots of blood, gore, and blaring guitars.

At least, that's where I see it going after 400 pages. I picked up the final installment of the Harry Potter series at 3am on Saturday. So far, it's been good, although I have no idea where this is going or leading up to. There have been some very well-written action sequences, but I'm wondering if this can really end in the next 300 or so pages. We shall soon find out, and judging from my pace, it won't be long. Regardless of how it ends, I have absolutely loved the Harry Potter series. J.K. Rowling has a very rich style of storytelling, and really paints a picture of her characters and the world in which they live, but there are also these great archetypal themes and characters. It's easy to see why they're so popular and will continue to be for years to come.

In other Potter news, I saw "Order of the Phoenix" Saturday, and while I liked it, I thought it felt rushed. Order of the Phoenix was a long book with a lot of subplots, and the movie tried to montage a lot of it together, with not a lot of development time in between. Granted, it looked really cool, from the training of Dumbledore's Army to the final scene in the Ministry, and I love the darker progression of the movies, as with the books, but it sacrifices narrative for action (like the lack of talk about the prophecy at the end). In other words, they made it a movie. Still very enjoyable, though.

Your thoughts? What's your surprise ending for Harry Potter? Don't be shy, I know you have one.

No comments: