Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Oh Shit, The People Actually Bought It. Now What?

Okay Democrats, you finally won control of both the House and (possibly) the Senate, what happens now?

This is about what I was thinking as I went to bed last night. But before I go all Debbie Downer on you, the Deomcarats won! Finally! It only took six years of ineptitude for the American public to wise up. Frankly, I couldn't be happier right now, especially with Rumsfeld on the street. I hope this is the beginning of something good for our country.

Probably the person I'm happiest to see gone is Rick Gayanaldischarge (R-PA), who was voted out with authority. But really, this is just one of many that I could bring up. With Nancy Pelosi coming in as Speaker of the House, it will be very interesting to see how the Democrats handle the first few months: what they introduce, how fast they jump into things, what kind of plan(s) do they really have? They've spent all this time decrying the Republicans and their agenda, now it's time to see if they were just all talk.

And of course, Donny Rumsfeld will soon be no more, which isn't very surprising. With all the people calling for Rumsfeld to step down and the quagmire in Iraq, I don't think Bush has a choice right now. The American people have clearly spoken, they want a new direction within our borders and in Iraq. That wouldn't happen with Rummy still Defense Secretary. But I will miss his circular logic.

Finally, some quick asides.
-My friend Harold Davis didn't get elected Bernalillo County Commissioner, which is too bad because I was looking forward to getting some croneistic kickbacks. I'll be going out ot lunch with him tomorow.
-Also, to the state of Missouri: Congratulations, you guys were awesome yesterday. Yes, Claire McCaskill beat out Jim Talent, but I was also paying close attention to the state amendments. First, Amendment 2, which protects any federally allowed stem cell research in the state, passed. Sure, it was by the slimmest of margins, but for a state nestled comfortably in the Bible Belt, this is a big achievment, both on a scientific and symbolic level. Second, you voted to raise the minimum wage to $6.50, and will be adjusted every year for inflation and buying power. Yes, the federal minimum wage may shortly go up, but you beat them to the punch. Kudos. Third, you voted down an 80 cent hike on cigarette prices. Personally, I would have voted for it and I'm a smoker. Missouri has the lowest cigarette prices in the nation, an extra 80 cents can do a lot of good in a lot of places. If we're going to tax anything, tax our vices. Weed. Prostitution. Those should be legalized and taxed out the ass, too (although the former was voted down for legalization in Vegas. In time, dear weed...in time).

That's all I got for now. Time to pack and play some Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Oh hell yeah. God Bless America!

No comments: