Saturday, April 07, 2007

What's Up, Rossini?

I've been a Looney Tunes kick of late, so I thought we'd watch one together. Sound fun? Awesome.

One thing I've always loved and respected about Looney Tunes is the fact they use a full orchestra to score their cartoons, from the sound effects to the music itself, which could often work as the only auditory components of the cartoon (Roadrunner & Coyote, anyone?).

Yes, the animators drew some of the greatest slapstick - and just plain animation - ever to grace the screen, but look at their names: Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies. Music played a HUGE role in these cartoons, as they had full access to the huge sound library Warner Brothers had to offer and took full advantage, from movie sound effects to current popular songs. But that's not to say they ever forgot their musical roots, as evidenced by this cartoon below, The Rabbit of Seville. Great, great cartoon, plain and simple.

You know what? Enough talk, just enjoy the damn cartoon. I have too much love to give for Looney Tunes and their importance on my comedic upbrining, so I'll just let the cartoon do the talking.

No comments: