Monday, February 05, 2007

This Is What It Feels Like When Red Corvettes Cry Purple Rain in 1999 While Going Crazy and Wearing Seven Raspberry Berets.

Whew. I could go on, but you get the point. Anywho...

Well fooligans, I was right. Kinda. But if I had made a bet yesterday, I would have lost, because I thought the Bears would lose but cover the spread. Little did I know Rex Grossman freaks out at the sight of rain. Okay, that’s unfair, he had a pretty decent game, but the Bears offense was too afraid to make big plays down the field. Once Devin Hester ran that kick back in the opening seconds (which was awesome), it seemed the Bears were content to just to sit back and play small ball. And where was Brian Urlacher during the second half?

I'm sure you all watched the game, no need to rehash. Besides, you can read and watch highlights ad nauseous on ESPN/SI/CBS Sports/Sporting News/etc. Plus, I didn’t really care who won, but I was happy to see the Colts hoist the trophy, there are a lot of players on there I really like (Peyton, Harrison, Bob Sanders, Dwight Freeney…).

But the show I was looking forward to seeing was Prince’s halftime show. Okay, it’s not the same Prince who oozed ambiguous sex back in the late 80s, but being a big Prince fan, I was looking forward to the halftime show, which I think is the first time…well, ever. I don’t know if any of you saw the Rolling Stones wheeze their way through the halftime show last year, but it truly was a sad sight. And people pay hundreds of dollars to see these geriatrics attempt to rock.

But I digress. Prince. Rocked. Damn. He crammed a bunch of good music into a short time, leading off with “Let’s Go Crazy,” "Baby, I'm a Star," and inserting parts of “Proud Mary," "All Along the Watchtower," and "Best of You," before finishing with “Purple Rain” in the middle of pouring rain. Very cool. I was hoping one of the dancers (who were taller than Prince, but that’s not hard to do) would slip on the stage and eat it on national TV, but alas, they kept their footing. I still really liked the show, though. Even in the rain, Prince sounded great and played the hell out of his guitar. Rock.

And for those who flipped to the Lingerie Bowl, Puppy Bowl, or found something productive to do during halftime, here it is, in two-part harmony (which is odd, but all I could find. meh.). Enjoy.


No comments: